Fire Hazards Are Lurking in Your Northern Minnesota Home – What You Need to Know

Every 24 seconds, a local fire department in the country responds to a fire. While the numbers of both property fires and fire-related deaths have decreased since the 1970s, the statistics today remain quite troubling. For instance, there are over 355,000 reported fires each year. Even worse, there are thousands of deaths and tens of thousands of injuries. The majority of fires occur in residential homes. All around us, in each room, there are hidden fire risks that go unnoticed. If you learn about these risks, you can take steps to minimize your fire risk altogether. Then, you can avoid having to schedule 24/7 fire damage restoration.

Common Household Fire Damage Risks in Northern Minnesota

In almost every room in the house, there is at least one fire risk. During the winter and the holidays, these risks tend to increase. Here are the most common household fire risks in Northern Minnesota.

Candles

The idea of a lit candle, with its ambiance and fragrance filling the room, can enhance your environment in the right setting and under the right supervision. However, lit candles account for quite a number of house fires each year. These candles are left unattended, knocked over, or too close to flammable objects.

Here are a few candle safety tips:

  • Blow out any candles before you leave the room or go to bed for the night.
  • Keep all lit candles at least 12 inches from any flammable objects.
  • Use a sturdy candle holder that will not tip easily.

Cooking

Perhaps the number one cause of house fires today, cooking is something we all do regularly. However, just one mistake in the kitchen can bring the entire house down.

Here’s how to keep safe and avoid fire while cooking:

  • Be alert and watchful when cooking and never leave any food on the stove unattended.
  • Wear close-fitted clothing items and roll up your sleeves if necessary.
  • Keep any oven mitts, wooden utensils, and towels far away from heat sources.
  • Do not place metal or foil in the microwave.
  • Never throw water on a grease fire; use the pot lid and smother the fire completely.

Heating

Heating is yet another common cause of house fires, especially here in Northern Minnesota where it is cold for a good portion of the year. It’s not just your home’s furnace, though.

For the most part, it’s a portable space heater that poses a problem.

  • Keep a space heater at least three feet from flammable objects.
  • Never use an oven to heat your home.
  • Have all heating equipment thoroughly inspected once per year.
  • Turn off portable space heaters before going to bed or leaving the room for long periods.

In the event of a house fire, you can call Restoration 1 of Northern Minnesota for 24-hour fire and smoke damage restoration. We’ve seen all manner of fire damage and can reverse yours completely.



About The Author

Patrick McBrady is the owner of Restoration 1 of Northern Minnesota. Pat has more than five years of professional restoration experience and 24 years of management experience, and he has received certifications from the IICRC and the ACAC.

Related Posts

Unraveling the Causes of Burst Pipes

A burst pipe is a homeowner’s worst nightmare, capable of causing extensive water damage and upheaval in your daily life. In this blog post, we will delve into the reasons behind