How to File an Insurance Claim After Water Damage in Northern Minnesota

Water damage is currently one of the leading causes of homeowners insurance claims in the country. Every year, countless homeowners find water where there shouldn’t be any.

After discovering the damage, you need to file an insurance claim with your provider. This water damage could stem from flooding, a burst pipe, or a sewage backup. Whatever the case, it’s likely covered by your policy. However, you’ll want to check to be sure. There are some types of water damage that are not covered by most insurance policies today.

Filing a Water Damage Claim

When dealing with water damage in your home, there are a few key steps you must take to properly address the situation. If you want to file an insurance claim for water damage, then do the following:

  • Mitigate Damage – First, you need to prevent additional water damage and secure your possessions. This doesn’t mean performing any repairs that could impact your insurance claim. Just turn off the water supply, tarp any broken windows or roof leaks, remove excess water, and take your possessions somewhere safe and dry.
  • Record Proof – With the water damage mitigated, you have some time to begin recording proof. Take as many photographs and videos of the damage as you can. The insurance company will try to pay as little as possible, so you need evidence of the total damages to your home.
  • Review Your Policy – There are specifics in each insurance policy. You’ll want to review your personal policy to determine what is and isn’t covered, how much coverage you have, and any fine print.
  • Call – Finally, call the insurance company. You’ll speak with a representative who will schedule a time for an insurance adjuster to visit the property. This visit will be within the next seven days or so, depending on availability.

What Water Damage Isn’t Covered

Most homeowners insurance policies in Northern Minnesota cover water damage of various types. Still, there are some that are not commonly covered. These include:

  • Any water damage caused by a lack of maintenance. Your homeowners insurance will not cover a faulty sink or pipe that has been leaking for quite some time.
  • If an appliance has leaked, the insurance will not cover the cost of repair or replacement for the machine. However, it will cover the cost of water damage restoration for the floors or walls affected by the leak.
  • Most flood damage is not covered by basic homeowners insurance. If you live in a flood zone, you need a specific flood insurance policy to cover the damages.

Following any type of water damage, speak with your insurance provider to file a claim immediately. Then, call Restoration 1 of Northern Minnesota. We’ll send a fully-equipped and trained team to your home within the hour!

About The Author

Patrick McBrady is the owner of Restoration 1 of Northern Minnesota. Pat has more than five years of professional restoration experience and 24 years of management experience, and he has received certifications from the IICRC and the ACAC.

Related Posts

Unraveling the Causes of Burst Pipes

A burst pipe is a homeowner’s worst nightmare, capable of causing extensive water damage and upheaval in your daily life. In this blog post, we will delve into the reasons behind